The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Santa makes his parade rounds

DRS ribbon cutting draws visit by Lt. Governor

With new affiliation, firm aims to expand workforce

Grandson charged in death of retired Halifax contractor

Sports

Comet wrestling drops five matches in tournament

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Kathy’s Column for Sept. 9, 2010

SoVaNow.com / September 08, 2010
IT CERTAINLY SEEMS AS THOUGH OUR OUTRAGEOUSLY LONG HEAT WAVE ... has finally come to a close. Am I sad, yes in a way I am as the cold nights we’ve been having could only be a harbinger of fall and what is to come next. Aren’t the days lovelier than ever? However, quite brisk in the early morning hours and then turning to nice and warm in the latter part of the day. Perfect, don’t you all agree? Wait a minute, just like that I am experiencing a computer glitch likes of which I’ve never ever seen before. I now have left three calls on my daughter’s phones asking for help, and I don’t want to bother my son as he is in the middle of an almost 20 hour non-stop trip back to Wisconsin from Lake Gaston N.C. (Traveling with my son are his wife, their five children, almost a week’s worth of stuff and to top it off a boat strapped onto their van.) Now you can see why it would not be a good idea to call him for help at this time. Oh yes, I must add it is also Labor Day.) I’ll just plod along and hope that the four lines of copy with only a few words in each won’t show up on my final copy. I must have done something with my left hand that really goofed everything up. It is so strange but now I’m back to my old margins once again, I can’t figure it out.

I NEED TO SHARE THESE MOST AMAZING WORDS WITH YOU ALL .. “Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible — the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family.”- Virginia Satir. Isn’t that beautiful and oh so very true, matter of fact I think an application of these words should include all areas of one’s life whether at work or at play, at home or wherever we may find ourselves. The results would be a much happier and peaceful world for us all.

I HATE THAT I DON’T KNOW MORE ABOUT COMPUTERS ... and realize that if I made more of an effort to learn about them I could fix my own problems. Actually, I’m now getting angry with myself for not doing just that, maybe it’s time for another “new year’s resolution. A couple of quotes about anger might be what I need to get started on this path to becoming more computer literate. “How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.”-Marcus Aurelius Antonius. “Anger is never without a reason but seldom a good one.”-Benjamin Franklin.

AN UPDATE ON MY GRANDSON WILLIAM VAN ... he is almost completely back to normal as the bacteria he had has run its course. I’m hoping and praying that everyone connected to the egg scare has also returned to normal. It sure does make one wary of what we eat and what kinds of rules and laws are in place to keep us safe and sound from the millions of germs out there in today’s modern world.

TIME FOR SOME SPORTS TRIVIA ... Babe Ruth hit his first major league home run on May 6, 1915, and had a career total of 714 homers before he retired. In 1970, 127 runners ran the New York City marathon, and by 1998 there were 32,000, I have no idea how many run in it today. The following I find most interesting, the “huddle” in football began when a deaf football player, using sign language, had his team group around him to prevent the opposition from seeing his signals.The first NBA player to score 38,000 points was Kareem Abdul-Jabar in 1989, and I was fortunate to see a number of those points being made way back then when I lived in Milwaukee and attended Bucks games. Of course he was then known as Lew Alcindor. An addendum, I’m so glad I love cereal as these wonderful statistics came from a box of my favorite cereal, which happens to be Corn Flakes. (Well actually Sugar Frosted Flakes are my favorite, but I just add lots of Splenda to my Corn Flakes and voila my own version and so much healthier.)

RATED NUMBER ONE IN CARDIAC CARE BY U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT FOR 15 YEARS IN A ROW ... is the Cleveland Clinic. They have published some very important facts for us and have entitled it “Don’t die of ‘acute misinformation’ thus dispelling a number of myths we may have once believed. Now for the truth: 1) Since 1984 more women have died each year of cardiovascular disease in America than have men. 2) Cancer does not kill more people than heart disease. (Matter of fact heart disease kills nearly twice as many people as all forms of cancer combined.) 3) It is not true that CPR can re-establish a normal heart rhythm for someone in cardiac arrest as it is usually not enough to restart the heart, that only happens in the movies or on TV. (It is more of a stop-gap measure and though it is smart to learn CPR it’s even smarter to learn the numbers 9-1-1. along with it. 4) You cannot give yourself CPR by coughing, that’s the Heimlich Maneuver. 5) Bed rest is not the key to recovery after heart attacks as we used to think, nowadays patients are gotten up and moving much more quickly. Thanks to a friend for sharing this information with me. I’ll have a few more next week, after we memorize these. (For what it is worth, whatever happened on my first page of copy is not happening now, so I don’t need to make any more calls to rectify my latest computer problem, wonderful)

WE’VE ALL HEARD OF THE “SEVEN DEADLY SINS” ... but, do we know what makes the sin of ENVY completely different from the other six? Answer, it is the only one on the list that has no pleasure in it whatsoever. From start to finish envy is no fun at all as it makes us miserable, and yet it so difficult to get free of when it takes hold of us, and did you know that everyone experiences it but no one wants to admit it. Isn’t that scary? In a book by Graham Tomlin on this subject where he states that God just wants us to have kindness towards others and that will diminish the envy within us. Isn’t that great to know and such an easy antidote, we don’t even have to take a pill or see a doctor for the cure. (Envy equals wanting what somebody else has.)

WE MUST REMEMBER TO KEEP OUR CHILDREN WHO HAVE LEFT HOME ... to go away to school in our thoughts and prayers. I’ve heard of some homesick cases that are so sad, but in a way they just show what a terrific home life these young folks have had through out their 12 previous years of schooling and that not everyone in today’s world can’t wait to leave home. I say kudos to all parents and especially to those who are extremely and sorely missed.

HARD TO BELIEVE THAT I’VE ALREADY RETURNED FROM A TRIP TO WASHINGTON D.C ... to attend the funeral of my daughter-in-law’s grandfather. I will write more about it in length next week as I need to make some notes to highlight the major points in the two day event. Suffice it to say that it was one of the most humbling (humbling is the word used by someone closely related to him that seems to describe it best.) experiences of my life and one which will always remain with me. I hope that my grandchildren, as young as they are, will realize the enormity of the occasion also and that it will afford a thankfulness in them for being a part of this great country and for the privilege of having a great grandfather who was such a hero to so many. After the Memorial Service one very elderly friend of the Major General, asked me if I knew the difference between the beginning of a fairy tale and the beginning of a war story. He proceeded to tell me that someone telling a fairy tale begins with the words, “Once upon a Time,” and that someone telling a war story would begin with, “This is the truth, this really happened I know for a fact it did.” And oh, were there truth filled stories over the two days, stories of courage, strength, sadness and joy always reminding me of the drive through Arlington National Cemetery when I heard the word humbling to describe the awesome two days.

GOD BLESS... AND PASS IT ON... AND ON

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.